Category: Academic Professional
Title: Visting NPR Illinois Multimedia Journalist/Morning Edition Anchor
Close Date: 10/31/2016
Description: NPR Illinois is looking for a staff member who will have skill as both a journalist and an on-air host, which requires a broader range of skills than our other journalist positions Anchoring Morning Edition and editing digital stories from 4:30-9 AM and reporting on assigned beat for Illinois Edition and the Regional Journalism Collaborative the remainder of the day. Investigate issues, report, write, voice, produce, and publish assigned news stories through digital and broadcast platforms. Emphasis on daily turn segments and NPR quality features. Based in Springfield, the Illinois capital, NPR Illinois is the flagship for the Illinois Public Radio network reporting on state government and public affairs to a statewide audience. This is a 1-year visiting position.
- Research, interview, and report NPR-quality features as assigned for Illinois Edition/RJC on deadline. Edit portions of these interviews for daily Illinois Edition usage. Assures stories are relevant and understandable to the community while being balanced, evidence-based and accurate. Creative approach to delivering content in an accessible, storytelling style. Produce stories with a statewide target audience. Trained to ascertaining truth with attention to detail.
- Build knowledge of assigned beat in order to produce content with the highest level of credibility and serve as an expert on beat in Illinois for media across the state.
- Aggregate reporting into at least one sixty minute special recap program annually.
- Anchor Morning Edition by hosting, announcing newscasts, interviewing newsmakers live, and responding to breaking news. Leads team coverage of breaking news during shift determining whether to pre-empt regular programming for special coverage. Develop an on-air personality and credibility.
- Responsible for station’s digital presence during shift through developing, editing and crafting digital story posts on website, social media, podcasts, and other channels. Edits materials produced by other reporters and assists them in production. Develops necessary graphics to support postings.
- Train and supervise interns and student workers • Ensure editorial integrity of news reports and comply with FCC rules and regulations. Complete appropriate reports and other duties as assigned.
- Enthusiastically participate in station fundraising and engagement activities and adapt to new work situations, people, ideas, procedures, and organizational structures, in order to accommodate an evolving work environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with and understand experts.
- Ability to meet frequent deadlines. • Ability to manage multiple assignments.
- Ability to take initiative and work with minimal amount of direct supervision.
- Keen sense of news judgment and ability to make independent decisions.
- Developed digital style that results in engaging stories.
- Proven experience using social/digital media to drive story traffic.
- Ability to operate broadcast equipment with an emphasis on digital and audio production.
- Experience and knowledge of standard newsroom practices.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Familiarity with public media journalism.
- Thorough knowledge of computer systems in a news environment.
- Understanding of state and local government
- Conversational on-air delivery.
- Master’s degree in journalism or consummate experience.
- Minimum three years journalism experience.
Radio experience is preferred.
Application Process: Click here to apply for position, create or update your profile and upload a cover letter of application addressing qualifications related to the position, a resume and the names and contact information (phone and email address) for at least 3 references. Please email an aircheck to Sean Crawford.
For full consideration, application materials must be received by October 21, 2016. Screening of applications will begin October 10, 2016.
The University of Illinois may conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer of employment. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
UIS is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer with a strong institutional commitment to recruitment and retention of a diverse and inclusive campus community. Persons with disabilities, women, and minorities are encouraged to apply.